Friday, June 7, 2013

Day 42 & 43: Subway, McDonald's, the Spanish Consulate, and a Post Office.


Day 42 & 43: Subway, McDonald's, the Spanish Consulate, and a Post Office.

Word of the Day: Соединенные Штаты Америки [Soyedinennyye Shtaty Ameriki]: The United States of America (A mouthful, I know. I am from there and can't even tell anyone when they ask because I can't say it yet, so I just say Америки [Ameriki])

Subway, McDonald's, the Spanish Consulate, and a post office. Want to know what all four of these have in common, well let me tell you...not much. Read on to know what this nonsense is all about.

Day 42 was the 24th of May. The beginning of the weekend. Max and I hung out and relaxed all day. Nothing too exciting happened.

Day 43 was the 25th of May. It was Saturday! It was also the day that the champions league final soccer game (Bayern Munich vs. Borussia Dortmund) was on! Although we had hopes that a Spanish team would make it to the finals, we still decided that we were going to go and watch the game. The game started at 10:30 p.m. our time, so we definitely had some time to kill. We decided to walk around parts of town that we hadn't explored yet. We found a Subway, a McDonald's, the Spanish Consulate, and a post office. Pretty productive if you ask me. Since discovering this little piece of America, aka McDonald's, we have gone back, probably a little too often. Okay, in my defense, they have better fries here in Russia AND they have fried pies! Every other McDonald's in America and maybe even the world (I think, you might have to fact check me on that one) has gotten rid of fried pies, so I think of it as a wonderful treasure. (let me know if you want me to bring one back for ya ;) Just kidding, that's gross. You will have to come to Russia to get a fresh one). Check out what we explored...
Oh, I forgot to mention that it was -1 Degrees Celsius outside (30 Degrees Fahrenheit). You can even as Kristine about it, we talked to her that day about how cold it was. ;)
The sign on the building says, "мы строим коммунизм," or in English, "We build communism!" haha interesting... 
Dancing in front of the consulate with my parachute pants. I am pretty sure I dance better with them on. 

My Spaniard ;) 
The game was going to start in an hour, so we decided to check out a few places to watch it at. After scoping out some different places, we ended back in our original soccer game watching spot, the German restaurant. There weren't any seats available except at the bar, so we ate at the bar. By halftime, our food came. They got Max's order wrong because they gave him the wrong side dish and they forgot my sauce. So, the waiter told Max that he would fix the order by bringing him some mashed potatoes (as he had originally asked for) and some sauce for me. We are easy to please, so we accepted his offer to fix the mistake. When we got close to finishing our meal, he brought us the check. When we looked it over, we noticed that he had charged us for the mashed potatoes he had used to "fix" our meal with because he brought us the wrong order. So he made the mistake and then charged us for it. Kind of ridiculous, but keep in mind, customer service is still developing here. It isn't like it is in America. We talked to the manager and got it pretty much worked out after a lot of back and forth conversation. By the end of it all, they put a bad taste in our mouths, but we will probably be back if there is another soccer game. haha
                                

After the soccer game, which Bayern Munich won against Borussia Dortmund (1-2), we walked home. On our usual walk home, we ran into "our" group of homeless friends. We call them "our" homeless guys because we always see them and they always recognize us and get all excited. This time, when we passed by them, they called Max "the happy guy" in Russian and played a little song for us on their harmonicas which was a little jumbled, but still appreciated. It was awesome. When we got home, it was pretty late, so we went to sleep. However, before my next post, I want to leave you with this funny post we found online. I couldn't stop laughing. I love hearing the funny things kids say...





1 comment:

  1. Are you still trying to convince yourself it was -1'C.... She's faking it! Who in their right mind wouldn't zip up the jacket if it was that cold!! :)

    ReplyDelete