Day 78: Crashing Waves and Our Adventure to Cadiz
Word of the Day: песок [pesok]: Sand
Day 78, the 29th of June. Beach day. It is the best feeling to wake up to the sound of crashing waves and to feel the warmth of the rising sun. Max woke up before me (which was no surprise because it happens every day) and was taking pictures of the ocean on the balcony and a few of the beach house. Take a look...
 |
| U.S. Military Naval Base |
 |
| People walking the beach. Yes, that man is in a speedo. |
 |
| Beach house living room |
 |
| Long hallway in the beach house |
 |
| Kitchen in the beach house |
 |
| Front door and hats galore |
In between the beautiful views of the ocean, he captured these beauties (he gets me every time!)...
After I woke up, we hung out on the terrace to admire the pretty views a little bit longer. Here is what I saw through the lens of a camera...
 |
| A view of Cadiz |
 |
| Our view from the terrace |
 |
| Max in the kitchen. A rare sight (just kidding ;) |
After hanging out in the beach house for a little less than an hour, we got dressed in our swimming suits and walked down to the beach.
 |
| People trying to catch crabs in between the rocks. |
After countless times of applying of sunscreen and a little over an hour in the sun, we decided to join Mariu and Pepe to go get some breakfast and buy some fish at the market. We got into the car and drove back to where the bull ring was and walked a little bit to get to a little tapas bar where we sat down and had some breakfast. I got a jamon serrano sandwich with some hot chocolate on the side and Max got a normal jamon sandwich with hot chocolate on the side as well. Mariu and Pepe got some coffee and jamon sandwiches.
 |
| A little churros stand that is only open in the morning. Mmmm...Fresh churros and chocolate milk can make a woman happy in the morning. |
 |
| Bull ring |
.JPG) |
| Photo edited by Emma :) |
 |
| So. Good. Enough said. |
After breakfast, we walked to the meat market. It was an interesting experience because I had never been to a meat market before and I am not a huge meat eater. (I like meat, but I just don't eat it super often) I did enjoy taking pictures though! Take a look...
 |
| Market- Description of items located on the first floor. |
 |
| Yes, that is a pigs foot. Pop's (my grandpa) would eat one for sure! |
 |
| So, at the market, you choose what fish you want (they are fresh catches) and then they take the fish and gut it right in front of you. They grab the insides, pull it out, and throw it away. Then, they use the water hose to clean their station. Pretty gruesome, but necessary. At least you don't have to do the dirty work ;) |
 |
| Pepe and Max talking and Mariu waiting in line for her fresh tuna. |
 |
| I spy a lone star fish! |
After buying fish at the market, we went to a bread shop. Everything looked so tasty inside. I am a huge fan of carbs, so bread is a favorite of mine...
 |
| A sign with Maximo on it! |
 |
| Look at all the crazy shapes of bread. I was impressed. |
After picking up the bread, we stopped by a cathedral that I had only seen at night and I wanted to explore some more. It was an old, beautiful church right over by the market. It was a great day to visit because when we walked through the doors we noticed that a couple was getting married. They were so beautiful and it just added to the whole experience...
 |
| A Children's Choir that was singing in a cage. They never leave the church. They just eat, sleep, and sing. (just kidding, they were there for the wedding) |
 |
| Check out the awesome hat that the lady is wearing in the lower left hand corner. |
 |
| Another cool hat worn by the lady in blue. |
 |
| Their car was decorated and waiting for them outside of the church. |
|
 |
Upper Picture: Look at all the huge bird's nests!
Bottom picture: Two police men riding around |
 |
| I am not a huge fan of the Nissan Juke and every time we see one, Max has to take a picture and say "Juke up in your face" Don't ask me why, but I think he likes to do it to bug me haha |
 |
| This is the entrance to a courtyard/patio area. |



After visiting the cathedral we walked to the car and went back to the beach house. When we got there, Mariu and Pepe began cooking food for lunch. We had gazpacho, bread, paella made with fish and shrimp, gambon (shrimp), and tuna. It was really awesome. I love gazpacho because it is very refreshing, especially during the summer time. Seafood paella isn't my favorite Spanish dish because of how fishy it tastes, but they still prepared it really well. After lunch, we cleaned up, had a siesta (nap), and then got ready to go to Cadiz (a little city across from where we were- reference the tenth picture in this post). Here are a few pictures of Cadiz as we drove through to find a parking spot (which I ended up spying with my little eye)...
After we found a place to park, we went walking and exploring. Another great adventure. Take a look...
 |
| Max modeling by the tree like a true Russian |
 |
| This is an old lookout tower over the Atlantic. Guards would be locked in this tower during their shift so that they wouldn't desert their job in the middle of the night. |
 |
| Seriously the best chips ever made. Bring these to the States please!!! |
 |
| The branches on this tree grew so far out that they rested on these man-made beams. Pretty amazing. |
 |
| This is a statue of a Franciscan Monk (according to Darcy :)) |
 |
| From Left: Mariu, Pepe, Michelle (me), Maximo |
 |
| WC= Wash Closet (aka Bathroom. Pretty fancy if you ask me) |
 |
| Beautiful garden we walked through in Cadiz. |
 |
| Mariu :) |
 |
| Of course we had to pose next to the dinosaur! :) |
 |
| A couple in love dancing in the gazebo (Mariu and Pepe) |
 |
| There were so many cool trees around Cadiz. |
 |
| A couple on their wedding day. I don't think she really liked me taking a picture of her. Oh well! |
 |
| Tiny three wheel car. Max loved it. We later researched what the car was for and found out that it is a food delivery car. Pretty neat. |
 |
| Entering a court yard with a bunch of tapas bars. |
 |
| A dog at every entrance. |
 |
| After I took this picture, Max told me that this guy was famous on YouTube. I have yet to know what for or to see him on YouTube, so if you recognize him, let me know! |
 |
| A gazpacho/pudding type food (Top: Squid ink Bottom: Not sure) |
Naturally we all stuck the squid ink on our teeth. What beauties ;)...
After we had our fun, we left and continued walking in search of some more tapas. We live to eat and eat to live.
 |
| A building for mail. The lion's mouth is where you can mail cards and what not. As you can see, Mariu really became fond of the lion. ;) |
 |
| Arco de la Rosa: Description in picture below |
 |
| Mariu's dream home that has halted in renovations because of the poor economy in Spain. |
 |
| Where we sat down to have some more tapas. |
 |
| We ate our food up quickly...I wish I could say exactly what it was, but I don't remember all that well. |
After eating some more, we continued on our exploration of Cadiz...
Not long after we finished our last round of tapas, we ran into a heladeria where we very willingly bought some homemade ice-cream (who could resist such a beautiful sight and assortment of flavors)
 |
| Although I do not drink, this man has been around for a long time advertising for Cruzcampo (a beer company). He started out as a fat and jolly guy, but has evolved over the years to a thin, slender man. It is hard to find the fat, jolly guy anymore, so I had to take a picture. It is interesting to see how advertising has changed according to our perception of image. |
We headed back to the beach house after we finished our ice-cream. I am definitely in love with Cadiz. It is a beautiful little place to visit. I hope to go back again one day :)
No comments:
Post a Comment