Day 24 through 38: A Lot of Traveling In Such Little Time (cont.)
Day 24 through 38: A Lot of Traveling In Such Little Time (cont.)
Word of the Day(s): победа [pobeda]: Victory
After lunch at the Mexican restaurant, we headed to Victory Square. The metro station to Victory Square was SO crowded! And we went up the longest escalator in the world apparently.
We saw a stretch G-Wagon right outside of Victory Square. Someone important was probably in it because a bunch of police cars were in front and behind it. Pretty awesome car, one day maybe...
When we crossed the street, Ruth was grabbed by one of the police officers because we weren't supposed to be crossing there. She pulled away and said, "I will get lost!" as she continued to run. It was one of those moments you wish you could have gotten on tape. It was really funny! She was also quite brave because those police officers can be very intimidating. When we got to Victory Square, we just walked around.
All green. Leather pants.
People singing. Check out the video below.
People give Veterans red roses to show their gratitude of the Victory over the Nazi's. It is so touching to see all of the veterans. They are so sweet and you can tell that this holiday means a lot to them.
The family we spend the rest of the day with.
(From Left: Seth, Erika, Brad, Ruth)
When girls get bored here, they always pull out a mini mirror and look at themselves. I see it all the time haha
People also REALLY like to pose here. Their poses are usually pretty exotic as well. They aren't your typical stand there and smile poses; it is a form of art here. They even have their kids take pictures for them while they are posing. I see this all the time as well. It usually is the other way around haha
Holocaust statue, representing those people who were lost or killed by the Nazis
It is also open for interpretation. We asked one Russian guy if it represented the Holocaust or the loss of their people during Soviet times. He replied, "Does it matter?" What a great reply. It doesn't matter. It simply represents those people who were lost and killed off. So touching.
Statue of soldier getting shot.
During Victory Day I was really able to see a more personal part of Russia. It was a great day filled with lots of adventures. I am so grateful for this opportunity to understand Russia a little bit better.
When we got back to our apartment there was a huge cyclist race going on. May 9th was the day for everything I suppose. Why not add a cyclist race to a huge parade? I have no opposition, I like action.
I have NEVER seen these roads without cars. It was closed off for the race.
The lone cyclist out for a joy ride. If Max and I had bikes, we would have joined him.
After getting back, we got cleaned up and got ready to go out for the night to see fireworks with our friends. I took a power nap, which was much needed because I was getting grumpy. We headed to the metro station and met up with the family we met in the morning. We walked to this huge park called Gorky Park. It is right along the Moscow River. It was a pretty neat park. Check it out...
Lots of blader people. I would have fit in as one of them...if only I had my blades. #bladagirl #Papergirlsunite (my first hash-tag(s) ever. Totally worth it.)
The hubs. Love him.
Awesome family.
She likes prints.
A park is not complete without ping pong.
Okay, so this thing called popping is REALLY popular here. They just, well, pop.
Awesome little boy joined in on the "popping"
Paddle boating traffic problems. So many paddle boaters out there.
Woah bun.
There were a bunch of people dancing. It looked like a lot of fun. I am definitely going to take Max here one time so we can bust a move.
Notice the guy doing yoga. He is workin' out his knots
People were releasing red lanterns! Pretty sweet!
People were brave to climb on top of the bridge.
Brave souls.
Fireworks...and lots of smoke. It got progressively worse haha
It kind of looked like Moscow was burning down.
The night came to a close, we said our goodbyes, and went our separate ways. Victory day was a good day.
No comments:
Post a Comment