Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Day 10 & 11: My First Day and Our 3rd Move

Day 10 & 11: My First Day and Our 3rd Move

Word(s) of the day: да [da]: yes
                    нет [niet]: no

Day 10 was Monday. It was my first day of school. I am taking 8 credits of online classes. I am actually really excited to get back into school, I have really missed it.  Who knew I would ever say that. I woke up around 9:00am and got right to it. I was somewhat nervous because I have never taken online classes before, but I was and still am ready for the challenge, I think and hope!  I sat down on the couch and sat there until about 8:00pm with a few breaks here and there. You could say that I was a little cranky afterwards. Max got home from work around the time I finished. He had gone to play soccer after work with some of his co-workers, so he came home a little later than usual.  We were low on food and water, so we left the apartment to get some groceries. All the grocery stores close to us are very small and don't have a lot of selection. When we got to the store, I am pretty sure I walked around the store 50 times looking for something new to try.  I was pretty antsy after staring at my computer screen all day. We grabbed what we needed and headed to the register to check out. On our way there, I picked out a new candy bar to try and a salad to cancel out the unhealthiness of the candy bar.  When we got home, we unpacked all the groceries from our backpacks (you have to buy plastic bags here at the grocery stores, so we just bring our backpacks to fill up instead). After that, we decided to relax and continue watching a movie called Dr. Zhivago.  The movie is based off of a book by the same name by the author Boris Pasternak about life and love in Russia during the Russian Revolution.  It focus' on Dr. Zhivago, his family, and his mistress during this difficult time in Russia. It is a really great movie, it comes highly recommended from me; however, if you don't like really long movies, then this one is not for you. Max fell asleep mid movie and I finished it out to the intermission. That was our Monday.

Day 11 was Tuesday, otherwise known as my second day of school and moving day number three!  Max went to work and I stayed home to work on my online classes.  In the middle of the day around 1:00pm, I made a lunch for Max and walked to his work.  He works only about five minutes away, so it is really convenient.  This was my first time visiting him at work. He met me at the bottom of the building and took me up to the 20th floor to his office.  The building he works in is pretty awesome. It is really tall and has a clock on it. Here it is...


When we got to his office, I met one of the VP's of the company, Connie.  We talked for a little bit and our conversation drifted towards food, as it usually does for me. I told him how much I missed American food and especially spicy American food. Russians don't typically like spicy food and it is nowhere to be found! I miss it so much! So, as the conversation ended, he told me that he would be traveling to Texas this next week and offered to bring back some spicy food for me. Oh man did this make my day! I said my thank you's and we headed to Max's office. When we got there I couldn't help but notice the view. It was amazing. Until now, I have not realized how HUGE Moscow is. Take a look...

The view on my right
The view in front of me
The view on my left

Moscow seems to go on and on! I am pretty sure Chicago is a quarter of Moscow. Anyway, I left the office, went to apartment/home number 2, and began to pack for apartment/home number 3. Once Max came home, we left and carried all of our stuff to the next building. Apartment number 3 is literally the building right next to apartment number 2.  So, we got into the apartment and began to get settled for the first time since we have been here. Something I have noticed throughout all of our moving is that they love their prints here. The first apartment was pretty neutral, but our second apartment had zebra print, and now this apartment has cheetah print everywhere. I am not complaining though because it is a lot nicer and I am ready to stay put for a little while. It is very comfortable and feels like home. It does smell a little bit like smoke because of people smoking outside of the apartment, but luckily in the apartment we are equipped with something I have never heard before very useful for about three minutes. Check it out.


Yup! Anti-tobacco spray. I got a good laugh and have sprayed it a lot lately hoping it would actually take the smell away, it hasn't worked yet (notice how I say "yet". I am still hopeful that it will one day magically work. I will keep you updated).  So, I know you are eager to see the new apartment. Here is the cheetah apartment/home number 3:


It has a balcony too, which is nice :)
View from balcony. You can see Max's work behind the building (which happens to be the place where we last lived, I told you we just moved to the next building)

Kitchen
They love their fancy showers here. That is how they advertised this apartment. Under  anything special, they put "shower". I was sold right when I saw it. haha

I wouldn't typically show a picture of a toilet to show you what the apartment looks like, but check out this huge crack! You can't tell, but it is cracked all the way through. Yup, gotta be careful with that, wouldn't want to get pinched! haha  Max already has



Well, when we got all settled, we went to another supermarket and got some more food. We were out of water, so that was top on our list (we didn't get any on Monday because we didn't want to haul it over to the new apartment when we moved). When we got home, we restocked our juices because we love our juices, but guess what we forgot to buy. Yup, water. Gave us a good laugh, and then we cried a little bit. We were thirsty and probably a little bit dehydrated. We had been living of a two-liter bottle of water since Saturday. So, we rationed off what was rest of the water, ate dinner, and finished Dr. Zhivago. Great movie, once again. Then, we both knocked out. That was our day. 




2 comments:

  1. Its so fun seeing your adventure of Russia! Lets just say I'm jealous! :) Love the modern/print touches in the apartment #3 its a great mix why have we never thought of that here??? Anyways I cant wait for more, I get some laughs just looking at the pictures and thinking of all the crazy things you have done and will do!
    I love you guys and I cant wait till you come back to tell us even more stories!
    ~Elise

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you like reading about our adventures. We are having a lot of fun! Just come on over to Russia and I will home school you! :) The print is awesome, I must agree. It is a mix between cheetah and baby giraffe. haha We haven't quite figured it out yet.

    We love you too! We will be home before you know it! Then, there will be a house busting at its seams, full of de Benito's. ;)

    Love,

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete