Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Day 3: The Red Square

Day 3: The Red Square

Word of the day: спасибо! [spasíbo]:thank you!

Today Max had to go to work and I stayed in the apartment. I spent some time learning Russian and Pinteresting. I am able to read Russian pretty well now, but I am not quite able to speak and understand at a higher level yet. There are so many different components to understand, like sometimes an O sounds like an O, but sometimes it sounds like an A; It all depends on where the accent is in the word. There is just a lot to know and remember. It is a pretty complicated language and is going to take some time and patience.  Anyway, I cooked my first meal here in Russia! I made Gnocchi for the first time with a red sauce, sauteed some carrots in butter and salt, and put a piece of bread to the side. It was really yummy and it hit the spot for both Max and I. 

After dinner we decided to go to the Red Square and see the Kremlin, since it is only a 20 minute walk from our apartment.  It is fun to be in the middle of Moscow because we are so close to everything. We walked along the Moscow River most of the way there; it was so pretty.

Here are some pictures of our walk:



This is just a really awesome apartment building









Max and I are beliebers. The Russians obviously are too. Are you?

The Kremlin




Red Square
There was a wishing well, so we obviously made a wish

Max noted that each wish was actually 30 cents and debated even making a wish...typical Max, always trying to save money haha 

I on the other hand, made my wish right away and threw it in without thinking twice, we both missed the actual well. 

Max's Karate Kick








The moon looked really awesome




 So after our awesome little trip, we walked home.  When we got home, we both were exhausted and sat down on the couch. As I was sitting there talking to Max I had a small panic attack...why? BECAUSE A LARGE INSECT RAN ACROSS OUR KITCHEN! It was probably about two inches long and an inch wide. After composing myself and telling Max what I saw, we both walked into the kitchen, which I say walked, but really should say took two steps because our apartment is so tiny. We saw the bug, which we then found out was a nasty, Texas sized cockroach.  I felt so sick just looking at the nasty thing sitting in a crack in our kitchen. Max and I then devised a plan to kill the cockroach. He took one of our wooden spatulas and tried to smash it.  I wish I could say we were successful in killing it. Instead, each day I will live in fear of it crawling in bed with me at night or jump out and attack me as I am trying to make dinner. Any way...here is a picture of the cockroach. It is the black blob in the crack, sorry it isn't better quality.
]


So that was my day. Miss y'all! 







No comments:

Post a Comment