Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Day 16 & 17: Church and School

Day 16 &17: Church and School

Word of the day: церковь [tserkov']: Church 

Day 16 was Sunday. We woke up early and got ready for church. I still was not feeling all that great. Last Sunday, I wore heels to church. Never again while in Moscow will I wear heals to church. Well maybe, we will see. Last week, we got lost and walked around a bunch, trying to find where the church was. By the time we found it, we discovered it was right by the metro station where we started. It was so close! We just went the wrong direction. When we finally got in and sat down, two blisters on both of my pinky toes had formed. It was kind of painful. Anyway, I learned my lesson and this week, I came prepared. I don't have any non-heel shoes with me to match my black nylons (Darcy, I should have listened to you and brought black flats), so I put on my black patterned Keds and just rolled with it. I wasn't feeling well and I didn't care if people thought I looked funny. (It was a much more pleasant experience this time, let me just tell you.) We decided to go to a different church building this time to be with the international ward so I could understand what is being said. We got on the metro and then walked for a bit and we were there! It was so much easier than last time. When we got there, we sat down just in time for the meeting to start.  It was a relief seeing so many English speakers. I could actually socialize! However, I wasn't really in the mood because I still felt sick. After the meeting came to an end, this lady (Shawna) approached us and asked if we were new. We told her that we were ward hopping, but we would probably be staying. She was thrilled! There aren't many members and I am sure we will have to give a talk next weekend. Then, she asked what I was doing with my time here in Russia while Max worked. I told her that I was taking classes and studying Russian. After I finished, she asked if I would want to be a substitute teacher at an English school in Moscow. How awesome is that! 5 minutes in and I am already being offered a job! I am looking at the school this Friday. I hope it works out. I need something that will get me out of the house every once and a while. After the rest of the meetings, Max talked to some people in a few different languages no big deal, he can just switch languages so easily. I'm not jealous. and talked to a few other people about soccer and then we left. We walked back to the metro station and headed back home. When we got there, I practiced some Russian and while doing so, fell asleep for 2 hours. When I woke up, Max fell asleep for 3 hours. I watched vampire diaries and just hung out. After some time, I decided to wake him up out of hibernation. We stayed up for a while and Face-timed a few members of our family. Sunday was a good day. Just a simple, calm, relaxing day. Hope yours was just as great!

Day 17 was Monday. Monday was Monday. It wasn't anything too exciting. Honestly, I just did homework. All. Day. Long. Yup, this week is going to kick my butt. Which stinks because Max has most of the week off because of Russian holidays. He told me that he was going to go out and be a tourist without me. No fair. I hope he was joking because if he wasn't I just might skip homework and be a tourist too. Hey, what's a girl gonna do. I am in Russia for goodness sake! Don't judge me. Anyone want to do my homework for me? I will pay! Just keeding. But really. Well, wish me luck! Oh, one more thing, I finally got Max to watch The House Bunny with me! (The title makes it sound like a horrible movie, but it isn't. At least I think so.) I have been trying to watch it with him forever because I just think it is so funny. Especially the part where she talks in her low voice to remember people's names. I think I might start doing that. Don't know if he actually liked it, but he laughed a few times. That's good right?





No comments:

Post a Comment